Cabbage Soup is one of my favorite winter soup recipes! It is a perfect mixture of vegetables made with cabbage, tomatoes, carrots, celery, and spices. It doesn’t take that much time to make, either.
Another one of my favorite recipes is: Chicken Breast Stuffing Casserole
Cabbage Soup is a tasty vegetable soup made with cabbage, celery, carrots, onions, diced tomatoes and spices. I’ve been making cabbage soup for a while now and it is the perfect winter comfort food, especially when it is cold outside. Who wants a salad in the winter, not me? I usually make mine in a pot on the stove, but you could make it in a crock pot or Instant pot as well.
I know a lot of people make cabbage soup for weight loss because of all the veggies. It makes it low in calories, but the best thing also is the low cost to make this wonderful soup. I usually serve this with some kind of bread or even crackers. You could even substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth if you want a vegetarian meal.
How Long Does Cabbage Soup Last?
Cabbage soup will last for about 4-5 days in the refrigerator. My husband and I will have this for several days in a row till it is gone, which makes for a few easy meals.
How To Make Cabbage Soup in the Crock Pot
Add all of your ingredients you plan to use and put into the Crock Pot and stir together. Set the cooker on low for eight hours, or on high for four hours. The soup is done when the vegetables are soft and your kitchen smells amazing. Pro Tip: using a crock pot liner will make clean-up so much easier!
How To Make Cabbage Soup in the Instant Pot
Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot and stir. Lock the lid and set it on high for a total time of 10 minutes, then let the pot naturally release, about another 15-2o minutes.
What To Serve with Cabbage Soup?
Tips For Making Cabbage Soup
- You can add more veggies to your cabbage soup, like green beans, bell peppers, corn, broccoli, kale, spinach, or cauliflower. If you add leafy greens, add them at the end just a few minutes before you serve, otherwise they will disappear
- Add chicken or beef to this cabbage soup if you want some extra protein, and rice or potatoes for more carbs. For a vegetarian protein option, use white beans.
- Add a packet of onion soup mix or Italian seasoning if you want more onion and herb flavor.
- For easier prep, use shredded cabbage and frozen veggies.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 white onion chopped You could use yellow, if desire.
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt any kind of salt
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 head cabbage chopped in 1 1/2' chunks
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery sliced thinly
- 14.5 oz stewed tomatoes
- In a large pot add the olive oil over medium heat, then add the onions and garlic, cook until the onions are see through, about 3-5 minute.
- Add in the broth, salt, pepper, thyme, cabbage, carrots, celery and tomatoes and simmer for 30 minutes.